These crunchy and golden brown lentil patties are vegan and egg-free. They are easy to make and perfect for a filling and delicious lunch or dinner.
When I want to make a balanced and nutritious luch, I usually go for lentils. Containing a high amount of plant-based protein, fiber and complex carbohydrates, lentils are widely used in vegan and vegetarian cuisines as well as in traditional Asian ones. They are one of the oldest known sources of food, cultivated ever since the advent of early agriculture. Now the number of dishes made with lentils varies from salads, paste, side dishes to soups and patties. I am really obsessed with dishes made with lentils, as they are easy, comforting and nourishing. Today I am going to teach you how to make savoury and delicious lentil patties.
Prep Time: 10 min + 12-15 h of soaking lentils
Cook Time: 15 min
Total Time: 25 min
Yield: 8 patties
- 120 g dry green or brown lentils
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 onion of medium size
- 1/4 cup of chopped green onions / dill / parsley
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 tsp ground coriander
- 350 ml water
- salt, ground black pepper to taste
There are actually two main ways how to prepare lentils for the further use in petties that are following:
1. Soak lentils in a large amount of water overnight and cook/boil them according to a regular method or
2. Soak lentils in a large amount of water overnight and process them in a blender or a food processor.
I would prefer the second option as the less thermal processing a product undergoes, the more nutrients it preserves.
Almost all types of legumes are recommended to soak prior to cooking to avoid side effects.
1. Do a quick sort and discard any lentils that are cracked or broken, and any stones or debris and then rinse them well. Place lentils in a bowl and cover with a large amount of cold water as they expanded to over double their size. Soak them for at least 12 hours or overnight. Then drain, rinse again, and return to the clean bowl.
2. Rinse and peel the carrot and shred it with a grater.
3. Wash onions, garlic and green onions, peel if necessary, and finely chop them.
4. Place all vegetables save green onions into a medium saucepan and cover with 2 tbsps of water and simmer for approximately 5-7 minutes until tender.
5. Transfer lentils into a blender or a food processor and process untill smooth texture. It will take about 1,5-2 minutes to achieve a smooth texture dependeing on the power of its motor.
Add the cooked vegetables to the lentil paste. Season with salt, ground black pepper and coriander. Blend well, or until the mixture is chunky and all ingredients are well incorporated, stopping to scrape down the sides halfway through pulsing. Then add chopped green onions and accurately stir with a spoon. Form patties with your hands.
The mixture should be damp but able to hold its shape. If not, add 1-2 tbsps of ground rolled whole-grain oats.
6. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the patties for 4-5 minutes each side or until golden brown. Serve with a salad or use for vegan burgers.
They’re crunchy and golden-brown on the outside, tender on the inside, and with an savoury flavor. I have to admit that I didn’t expect them to be so delicious!